The increasing number of crisis in Turkey brings about new online restrictions. The ones taking the most credit in this are the VPN service providers. In Turkey, we had experienced similar problems earlier. However, the last censorship occurring on 20 March 2018 was the biggest one.
Most of the free VPNs -as well as some paid ones, were blocked and they are not usable at the moment. Still, there are plenty of VPNs out there working like a charm without giving us any hard time at all and they cannot be blocked!
In this short article, we will be covering VPN services that work %100 in Turkey. Moreover, we will be covering how you can bypass the next blockage.
- Bypass restrictions
- Online freedom
- Country coverage
- Speed performance
- Log policy
- Moneyback guarantee
- No logs
- 45 days
- No logs
- 30 days
- Super fast
- Minimal log
- 30 days
How did VPNs become so popular in Turkey?
We used to use Google DNS servers to bypass censorship. Yet, a few years back, almost all of the free DNS servers were blocked by the ISP and they are not usable now.
The hunger for accessing blocked websites in Turkey increased so much that this led people to new alternatives: VPN and Proxy services.
Even though the main purpose of the VPN services is to encrypt your data, it can also be used to bypass censorship as it changes your IP address and makes you invisible in the online World.
Now in Turkey, millions of people prefer to use VPN services to access:
- Adult content and apps
- Betting and gambling websites etc…
When did all start?
From the very beginning, it has been forbidden to access adult, betting and gambling websites. Such URLs were blocked by a single judge verdict and this still persists. As of late 2013, Turkey faced plenty of political crisis that extended censorship to social media: Youtube and Twitter.
Yet! How can a website be blocked without verdict?
It all started with BTK (Bilgi Teknoloji Kurumu). The government gave all the strings to a couple of people to keep an eye on the internet. When they decide if something is not proper for the internet, all they have to do ask the ISP to block it. If the ISP does not abide by the decision, it might be fined for 50.000$.
Now in Turkey BTK can block any website it wants for a while or forever without having a judging verdict! Pretty easy ha!
BTK head says:
back to menu ↑
…VPN apps, offering private access to blocked websites, can change their IP addresses and bypass methods. The very reason is that they are being used in this way: Bypassing censorsip. This is a global problem. We took precautions on these apps and now we are testing new tools. Once the tests are done, we will move step by step…
How did we evaluate the list?
Most probably, you have seen plenty of advertisement related to this topic. However, almost all of the suggested VPNs from the other companies do not depend on native experience. We do live in Turkey and our picks will work. Period.
While we were making our list, we focused on:
- Service sites are not blocked in Turkey
- If the service works in Turkey or not
- Log policy so that your privacy is in safe hands
- Speed performance
- The number of devices you can use with.
Best 5 VPNs that work in Turkey
Before jumping into the list, there is one last thing you have to be careful about. In Turkey, there are three ISP providers: Turkcell, Turk Telekom, and Vodafone.
Besides the BTK filter, each provider has different VPN blocking systems. The hardest provider to bypass is Turkcell, followed by Vodafone and lastly, Turk Telekom.
If you are not sure which provider you are using, make sure to check whoismyisp.org.
Now that we know our ISP, it is time to pick VPN services.
NordVPN takes the lead in our list. Even after the March 2018 filter, NordVPN website is still accessible in Turkey.
Throughout the entire site, we do recommend NordVPN to our visitors because of several reasons.
First of all, Panama based VPN provider offers a strict no-log policy for all its users. That applies to users in Turkey as well. Because of the 2 years of data retention law in Turkey, NordVPN can be your top choice.
Secondly, NordVPN rest assures you get a good speed performance when connected to their VPN server. According to our tests, you will get an awesome mobile speed performance. However, the same performance does not apply to PC platforms. With the speed given, you can have a seamless social media and online surf experience. Still, you might not like the speed on your pc.
In case you visit Turkey your family or friends, each person will need a VPN service as well. In this case, NordVPN will cover up to 6 devices at a time. It is a pretty good steal if you choose long term plan. For as low as a cup of the coffee price (2.75$), you can enjoy ultimate freedom in Turkey.
How to bypass Turkey VPN censor with NordVPN?
ISP in Turkey blocked many of NordVPN server earlier. They still do that. However, NordVPN uses obfuscated technology to cover VPN fingerprints and make the connect look neutral. Still, there are a few problems you might face. I lined them up below.
- Turktelekom users: You have to use NordVPN obfuscated servers. If not, ISP might recognize your VPN connection and try to block your connection. You can find the updated obfuscated server by contacting customer support. Learn the server number and connect to it. Server names might be different but it is not important. Just connect to the stated number.
- Turkcell/Superonline users: NordVPN obfuscated servers might not work for you. However, there is a workaround. You can use NordVPN browser extension to bypass censorship easily.
- Vodafone users: Obfuscated servers will work fine.
ExpressVPN was blocked several times by BTK yet it continues its service with the mirror websites. It is one of the most stable VPN service providers in the market and you can access any website you want.
With the decent speed, you can stream HD videos, bypass censorship, use Booking.com, access geo-restricted content from Turkey (BBC iPlayer, Netflix USA, German streaming websites, etc…)
If you just want online freedom, make sure to choose PPTP (Fastest VPN protocol) with Germany or Netherland servers. You will be pleased with the performance. Moreover, you can use ExpressVPN simultaneously up to 3 devices.
How to bypass Turkey VPN censor with ExpressVPN?
- Turktelekom/Vodafone users: There is no blockage to ExpressVPN. You can simply register, and download VPN app from the mirror website.
- Turkcell/Superonline users: After completing your purchase, you will need to place your activation code to the software. While doing so, you might face censorship. You may need to use Turktelekom public Wifi for the activation or set the VPN up manually. In case you are stuck, make sure to ask for a helo from ExpressVPN customer support. They are online 24/7.
StrongVPN has never been mentioned by the newspapers earlier. As the name is unknown, ISPs did not block it either. The provider is a part of reliablehosting.com company and it is extremely fast. No matter you are Turkcell/Superonline or TTNet/Turktelekom user, you can use StrongVPN with a piece of mind.
According to our review, it can help you stream Netflix and BBC iPlayer abroad with amazing speed performance. If you are a big fan of social media streaming, you won’t experience any performance issues. Instagram stories, facebook or 4k youtube videos will stream like a charm.
It is worth to mention that StrongVPN operates under USA jurisdiction and they are bound to USA laws. Furthermore, they keep some logs. Unless privacy is a big deal for you, you should go for StrongVPN and enjoy the extreme speed up to 5 devices simultaneously.
How to bypass Turkey VPN censor with ExpressVPN?
- Turktelekom/Vodafone users: You will not face any blockage from your ISP. Simply register and download the app. After logging in to the service, simply choose a server outside of Turkey (Netherlands, Germany, UK I prefer) and enjoy your online freedom.
- Turkcell/Superonline users: In case of any blockage, make sure to activate the “Scramble” feature in the setting menu. It is strongly suggested for you. Once it is activated, you can access any website you want.
Hidemyass is one of the first VPN providers blocked in Turkey market. However, after agreeing on paying tax to Turkey, the Hidemyass site is now unblocked and operates without any blockage problem. Their website can be accessed by all ISP in Turkey. However, you might experience some throttling by Turkcell/Superonline.
Now that we can access Hidemyass, it is time to dig up its log policy. Unfortunately, Hidemyass has a notorious background giving away user data to authorities. Other than this, the company underlines that they are not keeping any activity logs. Still, if anything required by UK authorities, they will have to share what they got.
Leaving privacy behind, Hidemyass offers outstanding speed performance according to our stress tests. You can use this service for daily usage, P2P and streaming purposes. What is more important, it is super stable.
Lastly, you can enjoy the performance of up to 5 devices simultaneously.
How to bypass Turkey VPN censor with Hidemyass?
Hidemyass works fine with all IPS in Turkey. All you need to do:
- Register a Hidemyass account,
- Download the compatible app to your device and install,
- Sign in with your credentials, and connect to a European country server.
Now you can access any website you want.
Earlier this spot belonged to SaferVPN. Because of the latest censorship both from Turk Telekom and Turkcell/Superonline, I have decided to replace the provider with Perfect Privacy.
Relatively new in the market, Perfect Privacy is Switzerland VPN service provider focusing your ultimate privacy with its proven no log servers.
What is more fancy about Perfect Privacy is you can encrypt the internet connection up to four different servers leaving no trace behind. Furthermore, you can enhance your online privacy by enabling “Port Forwarding, TrackStop filter, NeuroRouting” features.
Now that we are convinced about our privacy, we got to check the speed performance of the provider. Unfortunately, as I encountered the provider recently, I did not have the chance to test the servers. However, I ran a speed test with my 50Mbps download, 50 Mbps upload connection with Germany servers. I got 89 pings, 24.64 Mbps download, and 23.50 Mbps upload speed.
Pretty good values to stream shows abroad, enjoy 4k videos and have a seamless social media experience. You can enjoy this speed for all of your devices!
But! There is a drawback I got to take your attention to. Perfect Privacy does only have 3 apps (Windows, MAC, Android). As for the other devices, you have to set up the service manually.
How to bypass Turkey VPN censor with Perfect Privacy?
Because of the ISPs in Turkey are not aware of this secret gem, you will not face any censor problem while using Perfect Privacy.
All you need to do:
- register a Perfect Privacy account
- download the compatible app to your device or set it up manually
- log in with your credentials and connect a server outside of Turkey
You are good to go!back to menu ↑
How can a VPN help you in Turkey?
There are several areas where you can use a VPN service in Turkey. Besides encrypting your data, a good VPN can kill your online experience headache pretty fast. Yet, how?
Using a VPN can help you:
- access any website you want because all gambling, betting, adult websites, as well as Wikipedia, are blocked at the moment.
- bypass throttling as the BTK can slow down your social media experience.
- use booking.com. If you have Turkish IP address you cannot use Booking.com. Simply change it to your local address (a place outside of Turkey), you are good to go.
- access geo-restricted content. Enjoying the sun in Marmaris and want to access BBC.co.uk? then you must have a UK IP address, with the help of a VPN, you can easily switch your IP from TR to UK with a single click, and you can watch your favorite shows.
- block IPS records. All of the websites you are visiting have to be stored by IPS in Turkey. When you use a VPN, your ISP cannot figure out which website you are visiting as your IP address is changed and your data is being encrypted.
Using VPN in Turkey – Legal or illegal?
Do not let anything scare you while using a VPN service in Turkey. Even the government put a lot of effort to apply filters to some websites, using a VPN service is totally legal in Turkey as the banks, universities and the government itself uses for security purposes. Furthermore, there is no law related to VPN usage. Thus, there is nothing to worry about.
Yet, there is one and only problem in Turkey. By a new law passed on 9/11/2016, ISPs are being forced by a new law to take action if demanded by Government or BTK. In short, authorities may ask ISPs to block VPN sites/protocols or throttle social media.
In this short article, we covered how VPN services became so popular and why you should use one in Turkey. Furthermore, taking the VPN blockage into consideration, we listed the VPN services that will give you the ultimate freedom! With that said, you can access any website you want, bypass government censorship, have smooth social media experience, and prevent ISP (Internet service provider) track the websites you visit.
If there is any case these services are not working properly, we will be updating our article and give you the most current, working URLs of the services.
Zenmate Hotspot Tunnel Bear Hola VPN PrivateInternet VyprVPN CyberGhost IPVanish
You cannot imagine how it feels living in a country where the censorship peaks to top level. That is why I decided to start VPNxD to fight for true online freedom not for my homeland but for all world. On VPNxD, I am responsible both for reviews and “how-to-do” articles.